For my brew day utilizing the malt from Duffin Station, I opted to use 10 lbs of it, paired with a modest amount of Vic Secret (AU, 21%AA) and US-05 (Chico). https://www.brewtoad.com/
Abstract: For 10 lbs of Duffin Station 2 Row in 4.5 gal of strike water, yielded 3.75 gal of 14.1 Bx (1.05496) wort. I brewed this with my Wauconda community well water: 96 Ca, 58 Mg, 12 Na, 36 SO4, 35 Cl, 500 HCO3 I used 8 ml of lactic acid (88%) in 4.5 gal of strike water. Normally I’d probably use a thicker mash with 100% 2 row to get a better pH. My 1.8 qt to lb ratio resulted in me getting a tad high 5.63 pH which probably didn’t help achieve the best possible efficiency. But not crazy high.
The usual 2 Row PPG figure is 37. Based on this PPG, I ended up getting 66.85% efficiency in conversion. I usually average about 83% in a wide variety of malt grists, but the grouping is fairly tight (80-90%). Based on my extract readings, the PPG for this 2 Row could be a little lower than the other base malts I’ve tried. I use a lot of Vienna (35) and Pils (37 ppg) as base malts that contribute to my system’s average.
Overall, I’m glad I got a chance to try this malt out. I would totally try it out again, and it is especially cool to brew something that was malted in-state. Even though I put some Australian hops into it. It fermented out into nice and clean little 3.5% ultra light pale ale. Hoppy, but nice